Saturday, February 9, 2013

Interview: Aitor Franco ( future basque political prisoner)

Aitor Franco

The original interview is in Basque, so the translation can be wrong

On February 23 you are going to enter in the prison of Martutene. How are you living that situation?
My situation did not start these days; Since we were arrested and imprisoned on 2008, we have been sentenced to a conditioned living.In the prison and also the years that we have been in the streets. Just knowing that we can be imprisoned again at any time, condemns us to not make any plan for the future, to live day to day. Even so, is true that on this last phase me for and my relatives/friends are more nervous. We are planning what to make for that day. 

What do you think that is going to happen that day?

On February 13 at 12:00, I will go to Martutene (the prison). Actually, I did not imagined the day of imprisonment, give myself was not in my plans. But, for having the opportunity of paying the bail of 9.000 euros I have to do it. The state (spanish) uses all the tools that it have to achieve what it want and the bail is one of that tools. I know that the moment is going to be hard, but protected by my friends/relatives make it easier. 

How are you personally?

The years have passed, and you have to learn to live with that situation, there is no option. You are conditionated to do all the things, and you know that you are going to be imprisoned again. You have that thought at any moment in your head. Even so, I am proud of the work and that relax me.

What is for you to return to prison?

I knew the 18 December that we have to serve the punishment of 6 years and 6 months in prison. I knew before that I was going to be punished, I decided to give up my job. For my political work, they have stolen me 6 years of my youthfulness, for a work that should be legitimate. Anger and impotence


After being hidden months, they give themselves to spanish authorities protected by people. After so long, I got emotional of seeing them again; The power and protection that they have, give me more power to continue.Although it was a hard moment, the next news that I am going to receive of them are going to be from jail. And I imagine myself in that situation. Perhaps I will have the chance of being with them in the prison. 

They are in the prison of Martutene. On saturday, there was a rally from Errenteria-Orereta. Were you at that rally? How it was the morning?

I was not there, it was too hard for me, knowing that in some days I am going to enter in it. I passed the morning in my house (nervous), thinking if people are going to appear. But the relatives said me that a lot of people participated in the rally and the prisoners (Maitane, Xaber and Arkaitz) received their shouts of solidarity. I am sure that they appreciated their shouts of solidarity.

When you are inside, that kinds of actions give you a lot of power. It is very important to participate in the rallys that are organized for going to prisons and give your solidarity to the prisoners.

There is going to be a demonstration before you enter in the prison, called by Eleak. How have you lived the solidarity of the different people and organizations?

When we received the sentence, we started to  talk with different people and social organizations to explain our situation and receive their opinion. We have received a lot of protection in our area and in Orereta, during the process we have sensed all that protection from people. And we have to appreciate the attitude of social organizations. We have never felt alone. Specially the last months, a lot of people have participated in the different demonstrations. That shows that basque society is making steps towards the solutions and that the political work legitimate in basque country. Eta eragile sozialen jarrera ere eskertu beharra dugu. Ez gara inolako momentutan bakarrik sentitu. I want to say, that in the demonstration of 12 January in Bilbo, the shout in favour of basque political prisoners was very powerful.

The protection of society has been very important during these months. However, there are still a lot of young that are going to be judged and imprisoned, Is there somehow to finish with that trials?

There are a lot of young people in the same situation in Basque Country. Ekaitz Ibero has received the order of being imprisoned and 15 young of Donosti (Gipuzkoa south basque country) have received the letter of going to Madrid to be judged. We must unity our forces and answer as basque people. Fighting and organized ourselves to build people's wall. Our civil and political righs must be respected.

No comments:

Post a Comment